Friday, February 16, 2007

My Man


I want a man
not just any man
I want God’s man
Hand – picked
Kingdom appointed
For such a women as this…..
I’m looking for a love
Not just any love
I want the kind of love filling a heart that beats
To the kingdoms rhythm
Unadulterated
Holy Ghost saturated
The kinda love that
Can’t be rated…
Poured out runnin’ ovah
Like water in a glass
Already full of good things
Smooth as silk
Yet tough as rope
Wrapping around my soul
Keepin’ it all together
Forever
With room for me
To be
A woman
Not just any woman
God’s woman
Whole and free
To love you
The way I want you to love me
With a love
Not just any love
But the God kind of love
Rich as a sinful dessert
Pure as tried gold
The kind of love that can hold
Onto your hand
And God’s at the very same time
Delivered from all other ties that bind
And yes
I’m free enough to wait …
For a man
Not just any man
But the man
Who understands
And knows what love means
And lives what God says…
And wants what I want
A real love
A strong love
A tall love
Agape love.
God’s love.

by Michelle Mckinney Hammond

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like your poems.

C. Wilson said...

Great poem. I do have a challenge for you:
Pick 10 Characteristics of "My Man" and list them from most important to least important. This will tell you who you are and who you are looking for.

Maybe for #1 you'd put "God's man"

Maybe for #2 you'd put "Smooth as silk Yet tough as rope" But beware, that one is a hollywood stereotype..many men are "smooth as rope and tough as silk".

But I must say, truely(sp) a great poem.

Mandy said...

OK I will take your challenge. I have already made a list, but when I read this poem I see her talking about love and how it can be "Smooth as silk Yet tough as rope" like going through good time and bad times and it is still there kind of like God's love for me. I guess I am not the type of person to focus on outward appearance as the end all be all in my life. When deciding whether I want to date someone or not is based off that persons character and how they treat others. Not off of whether or not the guy is what the world would call HOT. But that is just me and I honestly hope I will always keep this point of view :) Thanks for the concern though Big Brother I am glad to have someone like you around:)

C. Wilson said...

Naw, wasn't too concerned about you Sis. You're a well rounded lady or are quickly becoming so. I already know who you consider "cute". LOL. Naming off 10 characteristics is something we all should do. Myself esp. Then you have an idea of what kind of personaliy traits and looks you like. I.E. Blue eye'd red heads with freckles(sp) are pretty cool in the way of looks. :) But that's like #10 on my list. :P

The Rock Star said...

Ah, I see the silk/rope thing. But... I did not see it like cew did. I saw it more like you did.