Monday, February 19, 2007

My Knight

I have watched
and waited
for my knight
to come riding over the hill
of my desires…
watching…
waiting…
to see him
dressed in white
upon a horse
big and strong
as his shoulders
where I will lay my head
as he carries me away
to the promised land
of dreams come true
and joy eternal…
watching…
waiting
peering from the window
of my fortress
my rock
my stronger tower
with my heart in God’s hands
left there for safe keeping
I peek expectantly
over my Father’s shoulder
every now and then
settling back into the warmth of His lap
I watch…
I wait…
trusting that my expectation
will arrive
beautiful
resplendent
covered in the dew
that falls from heaven
being all that I hoped for
better than I dreamed
loving me
the way I want to be loved
freely
unconditionally
adoring meas if I were
the best thing since sliced bread…
you know
that when-a-man-loves-a-woman
how-Christ-loves-the-church kinda love
too high
too deep
for me to truly comprehend
but it sure sounds good to me…
so I watch
and I wait
sometimes feeling like Rapunzel
sometimes Sleeping Beauty…
waiting…
waiting
sometimes conscious
sometimes not hope keeping the light shining
like a beacon in my eyes
beckoning my knight
should he lose his way
but for now
I lay content in the arms of my Savior
letting Him rock me
and love me
like no other lover can…
and I learn
of love
of life
and giving…
and I wait…
clear-eyed
with no misguided expectations
no desperate desires
no distorted views
binding me
marring my judgment
I am free
to say yes
to say no
according to the King’s leading
in spite of my flesh
or my heart
only a God-appointed knight
will I receive
no matter how long the wait
I will wait…
I will wait for Him…
By Michelle McKinney Hammond

3 comments:

The Rock Star said...

This is a wonderful poem! Very true for me! :)

Anonymous said...

Just thought I would say, hi...been to you blog. :)

Anonymous said...

Ah! This poem sums up my thoughts exactly.